POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Infinite spire and fallen headstones : Re: Infinite spire and fallen headstones Server Time
3 Aug 2024 18:16:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Infinite spire and fallen headstones
From: Tom Melly
Date: 10 Dec 2003 04:28:30
Message: <3fd6e73e$1@news.povray.org>
"Gilles Tran" <gitran_nospam_@wanadoo.fr> wrote in message
news:3fd51433$1@news.povray.org...
> http://infinitespire.weblogger.com/

Interesting - I took the various VR tours as well. IMHO the 'gimmick' of the
design would swamp the symbolism of the design, but waddaiknow? Still, it got me
thinking about the whole memorial thing...

I dunno - is it me or is the whole thing getting a little fetishistic? I can't
help feeling that the best memorial would have been to leave ground zero alone,
perhaps with a simple stone memorial recording the names of the dead, rather
than trying to perform some kind of spiritual graft onto history. Would anyone
advocate knocking down Auschwitz and building a huge monument in it's place? Why
try and erect a symbol to something that's already symbolic enough,
thankyouverymuch?*

* once again, I'm reminded of Pink Floyd performing "The Wall" in front of the
recently demolished Berlin Wall, and describing it as "symbolic". As one
commentator noted, the symbolism was pretty redundant...